High School Quiz Show - Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is High School Quiz Show?
Produced and broadcast by WGBH, High School Quiz Show is an award-winning single-elimination academic team competition for all high school students in Massachusetts. Starting in fall 2014, for Season 6 of High School Quiz Show, private and parochial high schools will be eligible to participate as well as public high schools.
2. Who is eligible to participate?
Eligibility requirements include the following:
• All public, private and parochial high schools in Massachusetts are eligible to participate
• Each school must have at least one adult coach
• Each team must include 4 participating students and a maximum of 2 alternates
• All participating students must be currently enrolled in the school they represent
• Each school may register a maximum of one team to participate
• Teams are strongly encouraged to include both male and female students when forming a team
3. Why are private and parochial schools now eligible to participate?
High School Quiz Show is endorsed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education and was originally conceived of as a program to showcase and celebrate the academic achievement of public high school students in Massachusetts.
Due to increasing interest from private and parochial schools, and the desire to create parity with competitions in other states, High School Quiz Show will expand the participation field to include all high schools in Massachusetts in 2015.
All schools – public, private and parochial – will take the same qualifying quiz. Public schools will compete for 14 spots in the 16-spot televised bracket, while private and parochial schools will compete for the remaining 2 spots. This distribution mirrors school enrollment in Massachusetts, and was formed in consultation with the Massachusetts Department of Education.
4. How do schools register to participate?
• Starting September 17, 2014 schools must email firstname.lastname@example.org with their intention to form a team. Schools do not need to submit the names of team members at this point.
• By October 20, 2014, schools must submit the names of team members, including alternates to WGBH, by completing this form: http://www.wgbh.org/quizshow/registration.cfm
• Registered schools attend SUPER SUNDAY, the qualifying event, held at WGBH studios in on November 16, 2014.
Only schools that register and meet the eligibility requirements are invited to WGBH to take the qualifying quiz.
5. Can a school change its team members after submitting their team roster?
The four students who register as a team are considered final. If there is a conflict and a team member cannot compete, either (1) three members of the team can compete or (2) with the approval of WGBH, an alternate may be permitted to temporarily or permanently replace the member who cannot compete.
6. What is Super Sunday?
Super Sunday is a one-day qualifying event to determine the 16 teams that compete in televised matches of High School Quiz Show. Super Sunday for Season 6 will be held at WGBH on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
Only teams (including alternates), coaches and test administrators are permitted in the testing rooms.
7. What is the time commitment for our team on Super Sunday?
Schools invited to Super Sunday are assigned to one testing period on Sunday, November 16, 2014. Times are: 9:30am, 11:30am, 2pm or 4pm. Teams traveling the greatest distance are typically scheduled in the afternoon. Team members (coach and 4 participating students) must arrange for their own transportation and should expect to stay at WGBH for up to two hours. Alternates may attend but are not permitted to compete. Only teams (including alternates), coaches and test administrators are permitted in the testing rooms.
8. How many teams advance to televised competition following Super Sunday?
Sixteen (16) teams with the highest scores on the Super Sunday qualifying quiz advance to compete in High School Quiz Show Season 6, distributed as follows:
• The 14 public school teams with the highest scores
• The 2 private/parochial school teams with the highest scores
This distribution mirrors school enrollment in Massachusetts, and was formed in consultation with the Massachusetts Department of Education.
9. Do you have any suggestions for how teams should prepare to compete in High School Quiz Show?
We suggest that teams and coaches watch past episodes of High School Quiz Show at highschoolquizshow.org and youtube.com/HighSchoolQuizShow to become familiar with the format, pacing, and the types of questions common to academic quiz competitions. There are also a number of resources that offer practice sets of questions, usually for a fee, however none of these materials will be completely representative of the types of questions on High School Quiz Show. While WGBH does not endorse any particular materials, the following is a list of some of the places where you may find helpful resources:
PO Box 998
Durango, CO 81302
11521 W 69th Street
Shawnee, KS 66203
4 D Designs LLC
5940 Bertcliff Drive
Columbus, GA 31909
2908 W. Crestwood Dr.
Ozark, MO 65721
The Question Bank
P.O. Box 801
Richland, MO 65556
10. When will the matches be taped and televised?
High School Quiz Show Season 6 matches will be taped at the WGBH studios on the following dates in 2015. Please note the revised schedule:
• Saturday, January 24, 2015 (qualifying matches)
• Sunday, January 25, 2015 (postponed)
• Saturday, January 31, 2015 (qualifying matches)
• Sunday, February 1, 2015 (quarterfinals)
• Saturday, February 7, 2015 (semifinals and state championship)
• Governors Cup Challenge - TBD
The broadcast dates of the matches are decided at a later date. Check back on highschoolquizshow.org for the schedule.
11. What does the championship team win?
In addition to the title of High School Quiz Show State Champion, the winning team receives:
• A High School Quiz Show trophy
• Commemorative plaques for each team member and coach
• A complimentary one-year WGBH Family Membership for each team member and coach
• An award of $1000 toward the team/school to be used in such a way as deemed most appropriate and beneficial by the school’s administrators
Additionally, the runner-up team receives an award of $500 toward the their team/school.
12. Can family and friends attend the tapings of High School Quiz Show matches?
Yes! In fact, we strongly encourage teams to invite guests, including family, friends, cheerleading squads, school mascots, to join the studio audience during tapings. The reservation form can be found here, and is also available on highschoolquizshow.org. Seats must be reserved in advance.
13. How can I get in touch with High School Quiz Show?
Please send comments and queries to email@example.com.