The kickoff to the World Cup in Massachusetts is just three weeks away, and a busy section of Summer Street is ground zero for a turf war between the city of Boston and the MBTA.

State transportation officials want to close part of the street to traffic — between South Station and Fort Point Channel — for all seven local World Cup matches. The closure would act as a safety measure for crowd control, specifically for fans taking the commuter rail to the games in Foxborough, according to a letter MBTA General Manager Phil Eng sent to Boston City Hall.

But some city officials oppose the idea because of the consequences the closure will have on traffic and local commuters. They also appeared miffed that the state has threatened to close the street with or without the city’s say.

Support for GBH is provided by:

In the letter last week, Eng wrote the agency has “elevated its security posture” given the “unprecedented” crowds expected in the area, and gave 30 days’ notice that the state plans to unilaterally shut down portions of the street.

A city of Boston spokesperson fired back, writing in a statement: “The City opposes this inappropriate use of eminent domain to bypass the permitting process for roadways under local jurisdiction, and we urge the Commonwealth to withdraw the filing while plans are being reviewed.”

In the letter to city officials, the MBTA wrote that it “intends to acquire the temporary right to occupy this portion of Summer Street,” saying that it can legally take property as long as it is temporary.

World Cup matches will be held in Foxborough on June 13, 16, 19, 23, 26, and 29, as well as July 9. The state is looking to close this portion of Summer Street for 10 hours at a time on match days, according to the letter.

The MBTA expects about 20,000 people to use the train at South Station to get to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough for each of the matches.

“This is a matter of necessity given the expected increase in foot traffic near the station in order to best ensure that pedestrians, workers and others walking in that area can do so safely,” Eng wrote in the letter. “It comes at the strong recommendation of the Massachusetts State Police and the MBTA’s public safety personnel, as well as numerous public safety organizations.”

Support for GBH is provided by:

Boston City Council President Liz Breadon said for other events, like for a parade with thousands of people, the street would be closed.

“There’s not enough room on the sidewalk for them, inevitably they will be walking in the street,” she said. “So I think this is a prudent course of action.”

But city officials argue that the closure would worsen traffic in an already heavily congested area.

The city spokesperson said the city “has proposed alternatives to meet the safety and security needs of the World Cup while preserving access to this area for residents, visitors and local commuters.”

These alternatives include using Dewey Square and the Rose Kennedy Greenway Station as staging areas for passengers. But the T said this would complicate security screenings.

“Full closure of a major route into the City for multiple entire workdays should be undertaken only as a last resort, and the City will continue working toward a resolution,” the spokesperson added.

Breadon said, while she understands the city’s concern, the closure is an important safety precaution.

“If you have 20,000 people trying to get through a train station in a short period of time to go to a match, diverting the traffic away from that particular area is going to be particularly important because large crowds of pedestrians and traffic do not mix well,” she said.

Breadon said the Wu administration and the MBTA are continuing their discussions on the possible closure and hopes they can “come up with a compromise that will work for everyone.”