Heavy snow made transportation around Boston nearly impossible Saturday, leaving South Station populated with a mix of travelers looking to escape the city and homeless people camped out at benches and tables trying to stay safe.

The MBTA reported bus and commuter rail delays, but subway lines were mostly operational as of mid morning. Shuttle buses replaced trolley service on the Green Line's D branch and the Red Line's Mattapan branch. Dozens of flights in and out of Logan airport were cancelled. The Mass. Department of Transportation reported several streets in low-lying coastal areas closed by flooding.

Among the unhoused who sought refuge at South Station was Anthony Ciancio, after spending the night inside an ATM kiosk. “If I’m here, I’m here,” said Ciancio. “I’m gonna spend the day here.”

Jocelyn Kegbeh was waiting for a train to Bridgewater early Saturday, before the worst of the storm. She works as a receptionist at a healthcare facility, and said she was due for a shift later today.

“I have to be at work at six, and I heard the snow is going to be sixteen or eighteen inches,” said Kegbeh. “Even taking the train, I'm worried about the wind and stuff."

Others trying to get out of Boston were less concerned. Karen Chace was confident she’d make it back to Attleboro after seeing a Kacey Musgraves concert at TD Garden. To her, the nor’easter is being overblown.

"They always make too much of it,” said Chace. “I think it just sells shovels and everything else."

But for Boston mayor Michelle Wu, the seriousness of the storm could not be exaggerated. Wu was out early Saturday, inspecting clean-up on the city’s streets.

“This storm is historic,” Wu told GBH News. “Not only in how much snow we’re getting, but also in our preparations. We have 920 pieces of equipment out on the roads as of 6 am this morning. That’s snowplows and salt spreaders and Bobcats.”

Wu said that anti-vaccine protestors, a regular presence outside her Roslindale home, were not picketing amid today’s weather.

“We had a quiet morning this morning, but I was also out of the house before they usually come at seven,” said Wu. “I’ll put it this way – no matter what you’re used to doing in the morning, please stay inside and stay safe.”

Wu isn’t the only worker putting in a long day. At South Station, David Soto of Dorchester was sweeping floors. “Even when the time is not good and the weather is bad, I have to show up.”

State highway administrator Jonathan Gulliver said he was pleased that most other people were staying off the roads. "The public has really heeded our advice, and traffic has been very light" he told GBH News. "That's really been important to our [road-clearing] crews. When you have visibility that is this low you need all the room you can to operate."