Boston's LGBT community has canceled this year's 50th anniversary Pride Parade, the City of Boston and organizers announced Tuesday.
The parade was scheduled for June 13, with other events planned throughout the month.
“I know this was a very hard decision to make and I know it’s very hard news to hear, but it’s the right decision. As we fight the coronavirus pandemic, everyone’s safety and health is our top priority,” said Mayor Marty Walsh in a statement issued jointly with Pride organizers.
Speaking to reporters shortly after the announcement, Walsh promised "as soon as we're able we'll have the biggest and best pride parade ever in the country, right here in Boston."
Linda J. DeMarco, President of Boston Pride, said in a statement, "There will be time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Boston Pride and recognize not only the struggles that our community has faced over the years, but also celebrate our strength and resiliency which we all need during this difficult time.”
The city has been largely shut down by the coronavirus, and officials had already canceled the Boston Calling downtown festival scheduled for the end of May. Walsh warned Tuesday that more cancellations may be coming. He noted that Major League Baseball has floated the idea of starting to play games May 1, but "I don't think that's gonna happen."
He said there is likely to be too much uncertainty about "what June, July and August are going to look like."
The city has issued guidelines asking everyone to wear a mask when out in public and the mayor has imposed a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. asking all but essential workers to remain in their homes between those hours.
"This is something that we're going to have to live with for a while," he said Tuesday.