The sun and temperatures were high on Oct. 30, but it was still a soggy day for many cleanup crews and homeowners assessing damage from Tropical Storm Sandy. 

Scituate's sea wall serves as a symbol during this storm. The day after Sandy hit, the wall kept the rising waves at bay and passed the test of repairs from 2 years ago. Christine Darmetko was standing at the edge of the wall.

“My mom who lives near the harbor does not have power still. And ours just flickered on and off. Where we had it out for 5 days with Irene we were really nervous. But we lucked out,” Darmetko said.

Also lucking out were Darmetko’s boys, Alex and Paul, out of school for a second day but getting a firsthand lesson in nature.

“I’m pretty much just checking the waves out, just like all our other family members. They’re pretty big!” Alex Darmetko said.

The Scituate Lighthouse is pretty big too. A few miles south, caretaker Bob Gallagher repaired a fence.

“Today we're cleaning up, today we come out and we assess what the tide pushed around last night. We were very lucky, we've certainly had far more damaging storms than this one. The wind and the tide didn't line up the way it might have to really give us a headache,” Gallagher said.

Scituate was like most cities and town in Massachusetts: braced for the worst but weathering the storm well.

“I'm told by the town facilities manager that most of the damage in Scituate was done from falling trees in the center of town. There are some roofs around here, a lot of shingles around, a couple of different neighborhoods, but we were enormously fortunate the way that the wind and the tide timed out,” Gallagher said.

The harbors were generally empty, as most boat owners got a head start on the storm and hauled their boats out of the water over the weekend. At Bay Pointe Marina in Quincy, the debris from trees was evident, but the boats that stayed in the water — including a $12 million yacht from Cape Cod — were largely unharmed. Manager Brian Foley said that was in part due to protection from the landmass across the bay: Hough’s Neck.

“We had the crew on at the marina and we probably had 60 mile an hour winds, maybe 70. Some of the boats on land lost their canvases and some people that had tarped their boats lost their tarps but everything went well here. We’re very fortunate on this side of the Cape," Foley said.

High tides brought severe erosion to Falmouth and several other beaches on Cape Cod. Foley and two coworkers will head to New York to help out another marina damaged by Sandy.