BOSTON (July 9, 2018) – Building on its mission to enrich people’s lives through programs and services that educate, inspire and entertain, the WGBH Educational Foundation has launched a new online media platform. The new WGBH.org will provide audiences with a personalized user experience, optimized for on-demand and streaming audio and video across multiple platforms.
WGBH.org will bring together the high-quality content WGBH is known for, including news, dramas, education, science and more, designed for both video viewing and audio listening on desktop and mobile devices. Registered members will experience a more personalized set of content, based on their preferences along with access to a rich library of PBS video and other exclusive content.
“As the leading producer of public media c in the country, WGBH is known as a trusted source for exceptional content. We wanted to build on this legacy and create a platform that would deliver the highest quality user experience,” said Bob Kempf, WGBH’s Vice President for Digital Services. “WGBH is now extremely well equipped to provide a personalized multi-media digital experience to its broad and growing audience.”
Some of the content available on the WGBH.org platform includes:
- Award-Winning Journalism: WGBH News is featured prominently, with national news from NPR as well as in-depth coverage of science and technology, politics, education and commentary, reported by the WGBH News award-winning journalists. Users will find both streaming and on-demand audio programs including All Things Considered, Boston Public Radio, Innovation Hub, Morning Edition, The Curiosity Desk, The Scrum, and Under the Radar with Callie Crossley. WGBH TV news programs are available on-demand including Beat The Press, Greater Boston, Basic Black and Open Studio with Jared Bowen.
- MyWGBH: This member-only benefit offers exclusive video on-demand access to an extensive library of public television’s premier programming, including the WGBH-produced signature productions of NOVA, Masterpiece, Frontline, American Experience, Antiques Roadshow along with exclusive BBC programming and more.
- Original Digital Content: With its new digital platform, WGBH will bring the best of Boston’s arts and culture Zeitgeist to visitors with original digital productions including Front Row Boston, a music discovery series filmed at GBH’s Fraser Studio; Craving Boston, a literal taste of Boston’s burgeoning food and restaurant scene; and 24/7 Jazz, streaming and on-demand jazz performances and content capturing Boston’s rich jazz scene.
- Kids Programming and Education: Parents and kids alike will be only a click away from WGBH’s Kids 24/7 stream, featuring national and local kids video programs, games and interactive experiences. Through PBS LearningMedia, WGBH.org also provides parents, teachers and students access to the richest collection of educational material available.
- Membership: WGBH members ensure quality programming continues to be developed and accessible to all. WGBH.org will offer additional content for members and will provide information on easy and direct ways to support and sustain WGBH.
- The behind-the-scenes story of WGBH, including its mission, history, key events and more. This section features information about leadership, news about the organization and its contributions to education, civic dialogue and cultural enrichment, along with career opportunities and tours.
“With the breadth and depth of WGBH’s productions, we needed to create a platform to showcase content of interest to all our audiences, whether their interest is news, dramas, education, or those simply looking to support the mission of the organization,” continued Kempf. “We want to meet our audience where they are. Increasingly, that is on mobile platforms. The new WGBH.org is a 24/7, anytime, anywhere destination that will deliver the educational, inspiring, entertaining and quality content our members are looking for.”
WGBH.org was developed in conjunction with Perfect Sense using the content management system (CMS) Brightspot, allowing the organization’s journalists, producers, filmmakers and audio story tellers a world-class platform to shape their content and tailor it appropriately for multiple platforms.
“Brightspot was made to accelerate digital transformation and innovation for forward-thinking media companies like WGBH that engage with audiences on several platforms," said Sandeep Hulsandra, Vice President of Media Practice for Perfect Sense. “With the support of such a powerful and flexible platform, WGBH can now focus on its core mission while remaining agile in an ever-changing digital media landscape.”
WGBH can be accessed at www.wgbh.org,
WGBH Boston is America’s preeminent public broadcaster and the largest producer of PBS content for TV and the Web, including Masterpiece, Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, Nova, American Experience, Arthur and more than a dozen other primetime, lifestyle and children’s series. WGBH’s television channels include WGBH 2, WGBX 44, and the digital channels World and Create. WGBH TV productions focusing on the region’s diverse community include Greater Boston, Basic Black and High School Quiz Show. WGBH Radio serves listeners across New England with 89.7 WGBH, Boston’s Local NPR®; 99.5 WCRB Classical Radio Boston; and WCAI, the Cape and Islands NPR® Station. WGBH also is a major source of programs for public radio (among them, PRI’s The World®), a leader in educational multimedia (including PBS LearningMedia™, providing the nation’s educators with free, curriculum-based digital content), and a pioneer in technologies and services that make media accessible to deaf, hard of hearing, blind and visually impaired audiences. WGBH has been recognized with hundreds of honors: Emmys, Peabodys, duPont-Columbia Awards and Oscars. Find more information at wgbh.org.
About Perfect Sense
Founded in 2008, Perfect Sense is a visionary technology company created to deliver enterprise web publishing solutions and digital consulting services in a more impactful way. Our mission is to empower the art of digital possibility through Brightspot, a content management (CMS) and distribution engine built for high-volume media, brand, and portfolio publishers.