Updated April 16 at 8:09 a.m.

A man opened fire inside a FedEx warehouse facility in Indianapolis late Thursday night, killing eight people and injuring five others. The suspect is believed to have shot himself and is among the nine dead, according to police.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police said in a statement that eight people were pronounced dead at the scene.

Additionally, "preliminary information from evidence at the scene is that the alleged shooter has taken his own life," police said.

Five others with injuries "consistent with gunshot wounds" were transported to local hospitals for treatment and two victims were treated at the scene, the statement said.

The FedEx Ground Plainfield Center warehouse at 8951 Mirabel Road is about five miles from Indianapolis International Airport.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Public Information Officer Genae Cook told reporters at around 1 a.m. Friday that officers responded to the warehouse shortly after 11 p.m. following reports of gun shots. As officers arrived, they came upon an active shooter, she said.

She called the situation "very heartbreaking" and said officers "went in and they did their job. And a lot of them are trying to face this because this is a site that no one should ever have to see," Cook said.

Interstate-70 near the airport was temporarily closed Thursday night in both directions as police responded to the scene of the shooting.

In a statement to NPR, FedEx said it was "deeply shocked and saddened by the loss of our team members following the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis."

"Our most heartfelt sympathies are with all those affected by this senseless act of violence. The safety of our team members is our top priority, and we are fully cooperating with investigating authorities," the statement said.

It's unclear how many workers were on duty at the time of the shooting.

Jeremiah Miller, who was about to start the second half of a double shift at the FedEx facility when the shooting took place, told WISH-TV that he and a coworker, Timothy Boillat, heard up to 10 shots.

Miller said he saw a man with what he described as "a submachine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle."

Boillat told the television station that he "didn't exactly see a person get shot but, after hearing the shooting, I did see a body on the floor behind a vehicle."

"Luckily, I was far enough away where he (the shooter) didn't notice me or see me. So, thank God for that," he said.

This is a developing story. Some things reported by the media will later turn out to be wrong. We will focus on reports from officials and other authorities, credible news outlets and reporters who are at the scene. We will update as the situation develops.

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.