Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, said he takes responsibility for and regrets how the Trump administration's now rescinded decision to stop considering requests from immigrants seeking to defer deportation for medical treatment and other hardships played out.

At a congressional hearing Wednesday, Cuccinnelli deflected questions from Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) about whether the directive came from President Trump or other administration members.

“We cannot, as you well know, talk about the content of discussions with the White House,” Cuccinelli said.

“Was the president involved, yes or no?” Pressley asked. “That should be simple.”

“I made this decision,” Cuccinelli responded. “Alone.”

The decision was reversed last month after criticism about the original Aug. 7 decision to end the program, which allows undocumented immigrants with serious medical conditions and their families to stay in the United States. At that time, undocumented immigrants were served notices to depart the U.S. within 33 days, or face deportation.

The former Virginia attorney general, who is on Trump's shortlist to head Homeland Security despite potential legal complications, also said "it was a mistake" how the decision was rolled out.

"If I had to do it over again, I would not have applied it to people who had been pending," Cuccinelli said. "If for no other reason than to ease the information out and to not surprise them with a change in circumstance."

Pressley accused Cuccinelli of not being transparent with immigrant families, who she says still live in fear of deportation.

“While I am relieved that the policy has been reversed, these families and the American people deserve answers,” she said. “They deserve the certainty that they will be able to remain in this country.”

Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.