Boston Mayor Thomas Menino warned city residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning after several shoveling-related several incidents in the city, including the death of a boy who had taken rest in a running car.

“My heart goes out to the family who lost a loved one today,” Menino said in a statement. “Our public health, public safety and public school officials are providing support to the victim’s family. We are doing all we can to ensure the loss of life stops here, and ask everyone in our city to help us in that pursuit.”

Menino urged residents to clear all external house vents of snow, and to not start a car until clearing the tailpipe. He also asked residents to keep an eye on neighbors who may need help.

“The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning is real, already causing the loss of one young life, possibly another in Mattapan, and other incidents involving carbon monoxide throughout our city,” Menino said. “I cannot stress enough that parents and caretakers of children, and all Boston residents, do not take the dangers of this storm’s aftermath lightly.”