The U.S. Marine Corps Reserves has named Lance Corporal Samuel London as the Marine allegedly involved in the death of an Emerson College sophomore last month after getting in a fight in Allston, Massachusetts.

In response to inquiries from WGBH News, a spokesperson for the Marine Corps identified London as a reservist in the 25th Marine Regiment, based at Fort Devens, Massachusetts.

London is in the process of being separated from the Corps to face potential charges in the death, the spokesperson said.

Emerson College student Daniel Hollis died on Oct. 2, four days after sustaining head injuries during a fight after leaving a late-night party with friends, according to a statement from the family.

Less than a week after Hollis' death, the Marine Corps released a statement saying a Marine was involved in the incident. No arrests have been made.

London was called up to active duty, on pre-deployment leave at the time of the incident, according to Col. Theodore Wong, a spokesperson for the U.S. Marine Corps.

“The Marine Corps is aware of the circumstances surrounding LCpl Samuel London,” said Lt. Heather Chairez, a spokeswoman for the Marine Forces Reserve in New Orleans, in a statement. “The charges against him are very serious, and local authorities continue to have our full cooperation.”

It’s unclear what charges Chairez is referring to. Officials from the Boston Police Department and Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office say no charges have been filed related to Hollis’ death.

The Marine Corps said London is being processed for “administrative separation,” which means his command is separating him from the Marine Corps Reserves through an administrative, non-judicial process. Once the separation is completed, London will no longer be a part of the Marine Corps.

Efforts to locate London were unsuccessful, and it’s unclear whether he has legal representation.

The Boston Police Department is investigating Hollis’ death as a homicide in conjunction with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office. A spokesperson for the police would not confirm or deny an interest in London’s involvement in the incident, and said they cannot comment on the “open and very active investigation.”

Hollis was leaving a party with friends in the early hours of Sept. 28 when they were confronted by another group of men on Park Vale Avenue in Allston, according to a statement released by Hollis’ family. The family said a fight ensued, Hollis was struck, and he hit his head on a hard surface, resulting in an irreparable brain injury.

A spokesperson from Emerson College said they are currently in contact with the Hollis family to plan an on-campus memorial service, but no date has been set yet.

Because London was active duty at the time of the incident, the Marine Corps and the local law enforcement both theoretically have jurisdictional claim over the investigation. Competing jurisdictional claims are common, and usually occur when members of the military are accused of crimes off base, according to Victor Hansen, a military law expert at New England Law Boston.

“Frequently what happens is that the military will enter into an agreement with the local authorities and the decision will be made as to who will be the lead for investigation and potential prosecution,” said Hansen.

Hansen said oftentimes, the military will pass off jurisdiction to local authorities.

“If the military thought that the local authorities could have better resources, better access to witnesses, better access to investigatory resources, then the decision might be made to let the local authorities take it,” said Hansen.