In an interview with Boston Public Radio Wednesday, Mayor Marty Walsh said his administration will not be investigating allegations of an unnamed city employee who allegedly participated in pressuring Boston Calling to use union labor.
“We’re cooperating with this investigation,” Walsh said. “And we want to get to the bottom of any problems that are out there.”
Earlier this month, federal authorities arrested Kenneth Brissette, Walsh’s director of tourism, on charges of “union-related extortion.” The indictment referenced another city (unnamed) Walsh-administration employee, who has yet to be identified or confirmed by authorities.
According to Walsh, attorney Brian Kelly, a former federal prosecutor, is looking into the allegations. “He’s also going to look at the arts and tourism office as a whole in general,” Walsh said, “just to make sure our policy procedures in place are good.”
The indictment claims Brissette withheld city permits from Boston Calling unless it agreed to hire union stagehands— and he wasn’t the only one putting pressure on the music festival. The indictment references “at least one other City Hall employee” but does not say who the alleged employees are, or if they are still working for Walsh.
“I continue doing my work every single day,” Walsh said. “It’s a sad situation, what’s going on, and we’ll see what happens in the court as the court proceeds.”
Following the indictment, speculation emerged regarding Walsh’s mayoral re-election. “Absolutely going to run again, there’s no question about it,” Walsh said. “...I’m going to keep moving forward.”
To hear Mayor Walsh’s full interview with Boston Public Radio, click on the audio link above.