Upcoming Radio Schedule
- 5:00 AMEcologist Chris Morgan (Bears of the Last Frontier) travels to the jungles of Northern Sumatra to document the work being done to save its population of wild orangutans, which is quickly dwindling due to deforestation. Morgan spends time with orphaned orangs at rehabilitation centers observing the process of teaching them the survival skills they'll need to be released back into the wild. But to truly understand the complexity of a wild orangutan society and the skills the orangs would have learned from their mothers in the wild, Morgan travels to a remote patch of forest also in Northern Sumatra, a peat swamp forest known as Suaq Balimbing. Suaq is in a protected area and part of a World Heritage Site. Working with a team of experienced researchers, he becomes completely immersed in this unique social band of wild orangs who use tools, share food, forage together, and create their own distinct culture. For the first time, advanced cameras are used to follow the orangs throughout the canopy to provide an intimate, clear picture of how these arboreal apes spend their days and nights and interact with one another.
- 6:00 AMSid wants to know why his beloved yellow banana has turned brown and mushy. After exploring how fruits and vegetables slowly change, Sid learns that it's natural for his banana to ripen and turn brown and mushy. Over time, fruits and vegetables decay!
- 8:00 AMGeorge and the Giant Thumb - A bored George and Allie decide to make a ginormous sculpture of Bill's sprained thumb. The duo quickly run out of clay and turn to less conventional art supplies. Peanut butter proves too sticky and shaving cream too drippy, so George and Allie use mud to finish their masterpiece. But will Bill give their art a thumbs up? Shutter Monkey - Betsy's "Out of Sight Shapes" entry for the photo contest is sure to win first prize--that is until George and Steve accidentally ruin her pictures. With some help from Steve, George runs around town trying to re-shoot the photographs. But finding the hidden shapes in things is hard for a little monkey! Can George snap 4 pictures of 4 shapes by 4:00...or are Betsy's prize-winning photos out of sight for good?
- 9:30 AM(topic: Symmetry) - In his passion for symmetry, Dr. Marbles has created Symmetria, a harmonious cyberplace where everything is made symmetrical by a symmetrizer. Hacker steals the machine and reprograms it so that he can undo symmetry. The kids must master the properties of symmetry before Hacker destroys beauty, balance and harmony throughout all of cyberspace! The Big Idea: Symmetries are patterns you can find hidden within many objects that create balance, order, and a pleasing regularity in the world around us.
- 10:00 AMHIGH-FIVE SANDWICH - Chuck has won the prestigious "Sandwich of the Year" competition, but when his story in the Big City Times is overshadowed by the new High Five Sandwich trend that Becky, Scoops and Violet came up with, he goes out in to the city to seek revenge. He won't stop until he figures out who is responsible for this new and trendy "sandwich". Vocabulary Words: Trendy(y), Eager. THE ROBOT PROBLEM - At school, Becky's class is learning about how potatoes can be used to generate electricity. This gives Tobey a brilliant idea: potatoes used to fuel robots! But when The Coach steals his idea, WordGirl has to team up with Tobey to defeat the evil potato-fueled robots and save the city! Vocabulary Words: Fuel, Cackle.