U.S. Sen. Scott Brown announced on Oct. 29 that he would not participate in a debate scheduled for Oct. 30. 

A Brown spokesman said the Republican incumbent decided not to participate in the debate "out of concern for the hardship faced by people in the path of Hurricane Sandy." The campaign said Brown felt it was not appropriate to go forward with a political debate when a disaster strikes.

Just last week, Brown pledged to attend the debate and even offered Democrat Elizabeth Warren a ride to the debate in his truck. The statement did not say whether Brown would participate in the debate if it was rescheduled.

Approximately an hour later, Warren's campaign released a statement concurring that Hurricane Sandy took precedence: "Elizabeth believes the focus now must be on public safety and ensuring people get the help they need during the storm and in its aftermath. With the concern for public safety and cleanup paramount, Elizabeth believes the debate should not be held tomorrow."

The group coordinating the debate — which includes The Boston Globe and WGBH — said in a statement, "The Boston Media Consortium anticipated a possible debate delay because of the storm, and for that reason had offered an alternative date to the campaigns. We are working with the campaigns to reschedule the debate, to serve the interests of the people of Massachusetts."

Earlier on Oct. 29, Brown and Warren had announced they would postpone their campaigning as the state braced for Hurricane Sandy.

The race is the most expensive in state history. 

> > Read Brown's complete statement.

Material from The Associated Press was used in this report.