Unit Manager - WGBH News (Boston)
Job Requisition #
Management, Full Time
WGBH Local Production comprises of WGBH News broadcast on radio stations in Boston and at the Cape, classical music on WCRB, and local television programs broadcast on channel 2 and 44. WGBH Local Productions Administration serves administrative needs for all the radio stations including Classical and Cape stations as well as the local TV production units including Greater Boston, Basic Black and Open Studio.
Reporting directly to the Director of Administration and working collaboratively with the Producers, the Unit Manager will perform general administrative and managerial duties for primarily WGBH News in Boston including assisting with budgets, processing purchase requisitions and department invoices, tracking expenses, and facilitating other operational needs. The position is responsible for coordinating all financial and administrative activities working closely with the internal units and other departments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as project liaison with the Administrative Division including the Accounting Office, Business and Legal Affairs and IS departments, as well as other departments within WGBH as appropriate.
- Monitor and track project expenses against the approved budgets; prepare internal budget review reports and estimates to complete.
- Assist with managing restricted grants/projects operationally and administratively.
- Process purchase requisitions and invoices for payment, and maintain equipment inventory department as required.
- Handle independent contractor hires to ensure compliance working with producers when needed.
- Assist with hiring and off-boarding process including assisting with the appropriate paperwork and initiating IT requests, as directed.
- Assist in generating standard contracts and talent agreements; when appropriate, assist in acquiring releases, licenses and cue sheets for legal review.
- Assist in managing WGBH Newsroom internship program by working with the designated intern manager(s) in the newsroom.
- Train staffs with admin process including timesheet submission, expense reports, and other business related function when needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE: Candidates for the position of Unit Manager should have at least one year of experience in budgeting and general administrative and financial duties. Experience in monitoring general legal agreements preferred. Experience in a media environment is also preferred, but not required.
SKILLS: Candidates should have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, coupled with proven ability to work independently with focus in details. S/he must be able to set priorities and work efficiently under pressure. Candidates must be proficient users of Excel, Word, and FileMaker Pro. Demonstrated strong communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative manner with an aptitude for cultivating positive relationships are essential.
Bachelor's degree required.