Benefits Specialist - Human Resources (Boston)
Job Requisition #
Management, Full Time
WGBH’s Human Resources department partners with internal customers to provide a broad array of programs and services. HR partners with management to recruit and retain a highly qualified diverse workforce; facilitate positive employee and labor relations; foster effective communications among WGBH’s 800+ employees; provide professional development and mentoring to enhance employee skills, performance and job satisfaction; and design and deliver fair, competitive benefit and compensation programs.
The Benefits Specialist will be responsible for the administration of health and welfare benefits, retirement plans, leaves of absence, provide frontline employee assistance, vendor coordination, HRIS administration and data management, and project support for a variety of human resources projects. This role partners with and supports the Benefits Director and is also responsible for providing benefits support to Foundation employees, processing benefits invoicing, documenting benefits processes, and maintaining benefits records. The Specialist may serve as project manager for a variety of special projects and acts as a primary point of contact for employee benefits-related inquires. Additionally, as a member of the HR Department, the Specialist contributes to achieving the overall objectives of the department.
50% Benefits Administration
- Responsible for administration of health, dental, retirement, and life insurance programs; Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), short-term disability, long-term disability; vacation and personal/sick time benefits; workers compensation; flexible spending accounts (FSA); health savings accounts (HSA); Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986 (COBRA), and other benefits offerings administration. Review and approve all benefit changes in Workday. Stay abreast of compliance and changes in benefits administration best practices.
- Ensure consistent interpretation of benefits requirements and eligibility based on Foundation benefit plans and policies. Maintain benefit records and ensure accurate data, auditing, analysis, and adherence to compliance requirements. Interact with benefits vendors on enrollment inquiries, problem resolution, and account audits.
- Coordinate and administer leaves of absence (FMLA and other), short and long-term disability, workers’ compensation and WGBH benefits leave policies.
- Administer benefits self-billing, invoice processing and reporting.
- Oversee and participate in special projects, including onboarding new vendors, coordinating annual benefits events, and maintaining annual compliance calendar of activities and deliverables.
- Oversee and coordinate compliance-related activities and reporting for health and welfare and retirement plans, including, and not limited to ACA reporting, 5500s, retirement plan audits, non-discrimination testing, SARs, creditable coverage disclosure, and Medicare part D notice distribution.
25% Employee Support
- Advise employees on benefit programs including enrollment, eligibility, administration, claims resolutions, payroll deductions, leaves of absence, etc. Respond to employee questions and inquiries.
- Assist with communications, info sessions, and training regarding benefits programs. Develop and maintain reference and training materials. Deliver benefits overview at new hire orientation.
- Provide benefits technical support to end users across the foundation.
25% HRIS Administration, Data Management & Reporting
- Oversee Benefits and Absence Management administration, compliance, and data integrity in Workday by developing and running reports, analyzing data, creating and conducting various audits.
- Develop and maintain user procedures, guidelines and documentation for benefits administration.
- Perform as HRIS lead for annual benefits administration projects (e.g., benefits open enrollment, time off plan renewals, ACA reporting, data cleansing); participate as team member to define, design, implement, support and test solutions for projects.
- Plan for and implement improvements and enhancements that support efficiency gains and compliance requirements.
- Collaborate with HR and other partners on benefits and absence management changes for projects and ongoing configuration updates. Serve as liaison to Payroll for benefits-related inquiries.
- Perform regular audits of benefits integrations; research and resolve issues in collaboration with benefit vendors, HR team members, and other Workday support resources.
- Support HR by providing ad-hoc benefits reporting and analytics.
- Assist in testing Workday HCM functionality for new releases.
- Three to five years of experience administering benefits plans, FMLA, retirement plans, and Workers’ Compensation
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state regulations regarding ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA and workers’ compensation
- Advanced proficiency with HRIS software programs; WorkDay experience preferred
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Powerpoint, and Word as well as Office 365
BA/BS, human resources, business, accounting, and/or related field preferred.