Our co-op opportunities give students a taste of employment at WGBH along with a sense of the media industry and the inner workings of a large not-for-profit organization. If you’re looking to supplement your classroom learning with challenging, professional, real-world experience, a co-op position is for you.
All WGBH co-ops are paid, full-time, six-month positions. WGBH co-ops are open only to those enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Looking for a memorable educational experience? Check out WGBH’s current co-op opportunities below.
To apply: Send your resume and cover to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the co-op(s) you are applying to in the email subject line.
Digital Content Co-op
The Digital team is looking for co-ops who will get hands-on training in online content production, marketing and strategy and work with a dynamic team and across the Foundation. Co-ops should be willing to take on projects across all three areas: content production, marketing, and strategy, and we will do our best to align resume building projects with particular areas of interest based on need. Right now we are looking for individuals to:
1. Produce digital content: working with full-time producers (online/offline) to create web content for wgbh.org. This includes writing articles, transcribing interviews, scripting and assisting on shoots, and filming.
2. Plan, execute and track marketing campaigns for digital content: working with marketing managers to concept and launch online campaigns via through web, emails, and social media.
3. Research and strategy: work with managers to identify marketing trends and/or techniques to drive up awareness for WGBH and/or convert visitors to become members or shoppers.
4. General administration: help with PowerPoint presentations, managing Excel spreadsheets for production, maintaining the editorial and marketing calendars, scheduling appointments, and project management.
Digital Services Co-op
The Digital Services team is looking for co-ops who will get hands on training in online content production, marketing and strategy and work with a dynamic team and across the Foundation. Co-ops should be willing to take on projects across all three areas: content production, marketing and strategy but we will do our best to align resume building projects with particular areas of interest based on need. Right now we are looking for individuals to:
1. Produce content on websites: working with full time producers (online/offline) to craft digital content for sites like wgbh.org
2. Plan, execute and track digital marketing campaigns: working with marketing managers to concept and launch online campaigns via online ads, emails, and social media
3. Research and strategy: work with managers to isolate strategy, technology, marketing trends and/or techniques to drive up awareness for WGBH and/or convert visitors to become members or shoppers
4. General administration: help with PowerPoint presentations, excel spreadsheets production, scheduling appoints, project management
Executive Assistant Co-op
Interested in business and nonprofit management? Want to learn more about the media industry? Oriented toward delivering excellent customer service and collaborating with others to help achieve goals?
Then this exciting opportunity to observe business and nonprofit management in the midst of our dynamic executive office is for you!
Providing administrative and project support to our EVP and COO’s teams as well as the president’s office to ensure seamless delivery of daily office administration and operations, you’ll have exposure to the confidential business strategies of many different functional areas across our Foundation.
- Superbly organized and able to manage multiple projects, tasks, and shifting priorities. Excellent communication skills — written, oral and listening
- High level proficiency in MS Office
- Knowledge of financial concepts (cash flow, budgeting, etc.)
- Ability to understand work environment, interpersonal dynamics, and the context of decision-making on a variety of levels
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly and apply to daily tasks
- Past office experience preferred
- Collaborative approach and nature
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in work and presentation
- Strong drive to achieve
- Willing to take appropriate initiative and exercise good judgment to get the job done
- Customer Service orientation
- Personal integrity and ability to manage confidential information appropriately
- Willingness to learn
Human Resources Co-op
Reporting directly to the Talent Acquisition Manager, the Human Resources Co-op will serve as a key talent partner to build competitive advantage through the use of technology & innovative solutions that enhance WGBH’s employer brand & the talent acquisition process. The HR Co-op will work closely with the Talent Acquisition and HR team, learning how to source, interview, make offers and build relationships with hiring managers. The HR Co-op will assist with a wide range of projects related to recruiting, onboarding/orientation, training, employee engagement, and internship programs. This co-op is designed to be both educational and practical. In this position, the co-op will learn how to take skills they may have acquired in school and apply them to a professional setting. They will gain a better understanding Human Resources in a non-profit setting, and will be better prepared to work in the field of human resources after the co-op is successfully completed.
What you will be responsible for:
- Collaborates with the Talent Acquisition team to create and execute multiple cost-effective sourcing and recruitment strategies (advertising, web-based job boards, educational programs, job fairs, etc.) to identify, build and maintain talent pools for open and prospective jobs.
- Serves as a member of the employer branding team and assist with the development of content for social media and the web.
- Partners with the Talent Acquisition team to ensure complete recruitment documents for compliance standards and confirms standard practices and procedures are met with each associated transaction
- Interviews and pre-screens applicants and provide on-going updates and timely feedback to and hiring managers.
- Assists with the review and dissemination of competency based pre-employment assessment test data.
- Coordinates reference and background checks and disseminates data to Talent Acquisition Team and hiring managers
- Prepares, disseminates, and tracks offer letters.
- Assists with employee orientation and on-boarding. Maintains inventory of recruitment materials, collates candidate's information into packets, ensures that required materials are prepared and received on time.
- In close collaboration with the Talent Acquisition team, coordinates and oversees the management of the WGBH Internship Program. Advertises opportunities, screens candidates, and creates program events.
- Coordinate invitation responses and logistics of training sessions and events
- Promotes a positive image of WGBH Human Resources to candidates and WGBH employees
What you will learn about:
- The recruiting and talent acquisition lifecycle
- Behavioral and competency-based interviewing techniques to attract top-talent
- Sourcing tactics and strategies for passive candidates
- Basics of HR compliance and employment law
- Basics of HR information systems and applicant tracking systems
- How to develop time and task management skills
- How to work as a team and communicate effectively
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Problem solving capabilities necessary to accomplish regular responsibilities and special projects
- Ability to address and respond to client requests and understand when to escalate questions or issues to a team member
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills
- Ability to share knowledge and work in a strong team-oriented environment
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Knowledge of social media
Training Assistant Co-op
The Training department is part of the Local Marketing and Development Division of WGBH Educational Foundation. The Training team works closely with all of the areas in Local Development to identify gaps in process and document processes. Our team is directly responsible for leading trainings, sending out a monthly training newsletter, and conducting surveys and assessments to determine users' understanding of, and satisfaction with, the systems they use. Training plays a key role in interacting with Client Stations across the Country and provides documentation and knowledge articles to all clients.
The Training Assistant (TA) position reports to the Training Manager and is responsible for creating test data in Salesforce, attending training sessions and webinars to take notes and help facilitate attendee questions, comparing different system environments to ensure layout uniformity, and maintain training aids within Salesforce.
- Create and maintain accurate process documentation
- Schedule station trainings and update training calendar
- Assist in the training onboarding process of new client stations
- Review Walk-thrus in Salesforce to ensure usability
- Assist team in building out curriculum in a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Build surveys and other assessment tools and send to users
- Other duties as assigned