2017 WGBH YOUTH CULINARY AWARD
NO PURCHASE, DONATION, OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST.
THE 2017 WGBH YOUTH CULINARY AWARD (THE “CONTEST”) IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF A CHILD BETWEEN THE AGES OF 12 AND 18 (AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY) WHO IS ALSO A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, OR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (such eligible parent or legal guardian hereafter, a “Parent”, and such child between the ages of 12 and 18, inclusive, hereafter, a “Child”). The judges, and officers, directors, trustees, members, and employees of the Sponsor, and their respective affiliates and subsidiaries, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse) and household members of such individuals, are not eligible. “Household members” shall mean people who share the same residence at least three consecutive months a year, whether related or not. This Contest is void outside the 50 United States, and the District of Columbia, and where otherwise prohibited.
By participating in this Contest, each Parent (on behalf of him/herself and his/her Child) hereby: (a) accepts and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules; and (b) acknowledges that all decisions of the Sponsor and the judges regarding this Contest are final and binding in all respects. Further, by participating in this Contest, each Parent: (a) acknowledges that he/she is acting on behalf of him/herself and his/her Child as it relates to the Contest; and (b) represents and warrants that if his/her Child has another parent or legal guardian, the Parent has obtained consent from such other parent or legal guardian prior to participation in the Contest. Any violation of these Official Rules may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, result in disqualification.
2. CONTEST DESCRIPTION AND PARTCIPATING ENTITIES. The Contest is designed to encourage children ages 12-18, in collaboration with their parent(s), to create a video depicting the Child’s culinary knowledge, creativity and passion for cooking, as further described below. All online entries must be submitted by a Parent on behalf of his/her Child. The Contest begins 9:00 AM ET September 14, 2017 and ends at 5pm ET PM on Monday, September 25, 2017 (the “Contest Period”). Online entries must be received the Contest Period.
This Contest is administered by the WGBH Educational Foundation (“WGBH”), Cambridge School of Culinary Arts (“CSCA”) (WGBH, and CSCA are referred to in these Official Rules, individually and collectively, as the “Sponsor”).
3. HOW TO ENTER: VIDEO SUBMISSION AND APPLICATION PROCEDURE Entries may be made by following the instructions for Parents to submit the Online Entry form and Submission Video (collectively, the “Submission”) at www.wgbh.org/festival
If you do not have internet access at home, free internet access is available at most public libraries.
All Submissions must consist of an original recipe that is authored by an eligible Child of an eligible Parent (as described in Rule 1 above). Each entry must include:
All Submissions must be in English. All online Submissions must be submitted by a Parent on behalf of his/her Child. Under no circumstances will a Child be allowed to submit information her or himself.
Limit one (1) Submission per Child. Submissions that are not in compliance with these Official Rules are ineligible to participate in the Contest. Each Parent (on behalf of him/herself and his/her applicable Child) acknowledges that others may have or submit to this Contest the same or similar ideas/recipes, agrees that neither Sponsor nor any other party shall have any responsibility or liability arising from such similar ideas/recipes, and waives any claims or damages of any kind or nature should Sponsor pursue, in any manner, any such submission to this Contest or from a third party.
By submitting the Submission into the Contest, each Parent agrees and consents (on behalf of him/herself and his/her applicable Child) to Sponsor’s collection, use and retention of their personal information provided in their Submission for all purposes related to the Contest (including, without limitation, processing and administering Submissions, sharing a participant’s personal information with third parties as necessary to conduct and operate the Contest, communicating with and awarding prizes to finalists/winners, making public announcements about finalists/winners, and advertising, promoting and publicizing the Contest). Please review the Official Rules before submitting your Submission. If you object to anything stated in these Official Rules, you should not enter the Contest.
4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. There will be two rounds of judging. The judges will select six (6) semifinalists (“Semifinalists”) from all eligible submissions. The Semifinalists will compete in a live competition on Sunday, October 1, 2017 at the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts to determine the Winner.
Judges will review and score all eligible Submissions based on the following criteria:
30%: Demonstrated knowledge, cooking skills and familiarity in working with food.
20%: Unique idea or creative interpretation of the recipe or cooking tip
20% Ability to present recipe entry ideas clearly within the allotted time, enunciating well and using correct pronunciation.
15%: Telegenic appeal –ability to engage with the audience: makes consistent eye contact with the camera, dresses appropriately, demonstrates comfort and organization in front of the camera during their presentation.
15%: Use of the camera frame and stage – ensures that food is filmed in focus and is visually available to viewers. Video footage must match the contestant’s narrative, and the use of additional visuals must support the video’s message.
Parent of the Semifinalists and Winner will be notified by mail, email, and/or telephone. If any such Parent: (i) cannot be contacted; (ii) does not respond within five (5) days from the date the Sponsor first tries to notify him/her; (iii) fails to return the Affidavit and Release as specified in Rule 9 below; (iv) refuses the prize on behalf of his/her Child; (v) does not meet the requirements of this Contest and these Official Rules, including without limitation the failure to execute required waivers, publicity and liability releases and disclaimers, and, at Sponsor’s discretion, or if a prize or prize notification sent to such Parent is returned as undeliverable, such Parent and applicable Child forfeit all rights to win the Contest or receive that prize, and in Sponsor’s sole discretion, an alternate potential winner may be selected by the means of winner determination described herein.
5. PRIZE DESCRIPTION.
Grand prize winner will (i) receive a Teen Series of cooking classes (4 classes in total) at Cambridge School of Culinary Arts; (ii) receive a commemorative plaque to be presented on October 7, 2017 at the Taste of WGBH Food and Wine Festival. The approximate retail value of the prize is $500. Travel costs are not included for any round of competition or prize acceptance.
Three (3) runners up at the October 1 Semi-Final event shall each receive two (2) cooking classes at Cambridge School for Culinary Arts. The approximate retail value of the prize is valued at $150 .
6. TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes associated with a prize, if any, are the sole responsibility of the applicable Winner and his/her parents/legal guardians.
7. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. Each Parent represents and warrants that his/her Submission is his/her Child’s original work, produced in collaboration with his/her parent(s), has not been copied from others, and does not violate any law or regulation or the rights of any other person or entity. Each Parent further represents and warrants that his/her Submission adheres to the fundamental spirit of the Contest and does not contain any defamatory, obscene, or otherwise unlawful matter or contain any other inappropriate content (as determined by Sponsor). Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, edit or delete any Submission.
All entry materials become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the Parent and applicable Child. By entering this Contest, each Parent (on behalf of him/herself and his/her applicable Child) grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully transferable and perpetual license to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such Submission without compensation and for any purpose related to the Contest Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
8. NO PRIZE TRANSFER OR SUBSTITUTION. No prize or any portion thereof is transferable or redeemable for cash. Any portion of the prize that is not used is forfeited. No substitutions for the prize may be made except by Sponsor, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
9. CONSENT AND RELEASE. By entering the Contest, each Parent on his/her own behalf and on behalf of his/her Child(ren), and their heirs, executors, successors, and assigns, hereby releases and discharges each Sponsor, HP Hood LLC, judges, prize provider(s), and any other party associated with the development or administration of this Contest, their parent, subsidiary, and affiliated entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, trustees, members, managers, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, licensees, insurers, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”), from any and all liability, injuries, losses, damages, claims, demands, actions, costs and expenses of any nature (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light) in connection with this Contest or the acceptance and use of any prize, including but not limited to acceptance and use of any activities that may be associated with the prize (collectively, “Claims”).
Except where prohibited: (i) participation in the Contest constitutes the consent of each Parent on behalf of him/herself and his/her applicable Child (and his/her agreement to confirm such grants in writing), without compensation, to use their names, pictures, likenesses, voices, biographical data, contact information, and statements (taken from any source including photographs and videos taken at Contest-related events) for any purpose related to the Contest, including but not limited to the creation of Contest-related web videos, and other editorial, advertising, marketing, publicity, and administrative purposes of the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide and on the Internet and World Wide Web, without notice, review or approval; (ii) participation in the Contest constitutes a release by any Parent and applicable Child of the Sponsor of any and all Claims in connection with the administration of this Contest and the use, misuse, or possession of his/her Submission or any prize; (iii) each Winning Parent and applicable Child will be required to complete, sign, get notarized, and return to WGBH or its designated representative a document (called an “Affidavit and Release”) to provide his or her social security number and date of birth. Such Affidavit and Release must be returned within five (5) days from the receipt of notification to WGBH and will be maintained by WGBH.
10. DISCLAIMERS. (i) The Sponsor Entities (and their affiliates) (the “Releasee[s]”) are not responsible for Submissions that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at Releasee’s servers or elsewhere. In the event of a dispute, Submissions will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Entrants are expected to, and shall, retain copies of all portions of their Submissions and shall not rely on the Sponsor to retain same. (ii) The Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the web site or otherwise attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest. Use of bots or other automated process to enter is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. (iii) The Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Contest if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure or technical failures of any sort. (iv) Releasees are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Contest, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, or for injury or damage to entrants’ or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in this Contest or downloading or printing materials of any kind related to this Contest. The Sponsor may cancel, terminate or modify this Contest based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability. In no event will the Sponsor be responsible for awarding more than the number of prizes specified in these Official Rules. (v) In the event this Contest is cancelled or terminated, pursuant to subsection (iii) or (iv), Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to select one or more winners from among all eligible Entrants received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. (vi) RELEASEES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS CONTEST OR THE MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, INCLUDING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS CONTEST, BUT IN NO EVENT SHALL THERE BE A CLAIM OR AWARD OF ATTORNEYS’ FEES OR COSTS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ENTRANTS BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN, AND ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES AND ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES, AND ANY AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSIONS OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO ANY INDIVIDUAL ENTRANT. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS. (vii) CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, RELEASEES RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. (viii) The value(s) of the prize(s) set forth above represent Sponsor’s good faith determination of the approximate retail value(s) thereof; the actual fair market value(s) as ultimately determined by Sponsor are final and binding and cannot be challenged or appealed. In the event the stated approximate retail value(s) of a prize is more than the actual fair market value of that prize, the difference will not be awarded in cash or otherwise. No substitution or compensation will be given for any portion of the prize that is not used.
11. INDEMNITY: By entering the Contest, each Parent, on his/her own behalf and on behalf of his/her applicable Child, agrees to indemnify and hold the Releasees harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Releasees due to or arising out of his/her Submission, or his/her conduct in creating a Submission or otherwise in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to: claims for trademark infringement; copyright infringement; violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy; or defamation.
12. WINNER LIST. For the name of the winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope, within six (6) months of the Notification Date to: 2017 WGBH Youth Culinary Award c/o WGBH, One Guest Street, Boston, MA 02135.
Not a problem. Just enter the username you used to register below.Or CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT
Instructions on how to reset your Password have been sent.
Check your email to continue.
Not a problem. Just enter the email address you used to register below.Or CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT
Instructions on how to reset your Username have been sent.
Check your email to continue.