Basic Black: Celebrating a Prince, a Queen, and a General
April 29, 2016
A Prince, a Queen, and a General. Brilliant, prolific artist Prince Rogers Nelson, superstar singer Beyonce “Queen Bey" Knowles, and abolitionist hero Harriet Tubman -- General Tubman -- the most celebrated leader of the Underground Railroad… We delve into the loss, triumph, and tribute for all three icons and consider what all of it says about culture, race, and (mainstream) recognition.
And in our online conversation: Asian American police officer Peter Liang fatally shot African American Akai Gurley. The shooting has strained Asian American and African American relations. What’s the long term impact?
- Callie Crossley, Host, Under The Radar with Callie Crossley, WGBH Radio 89.7
- Phillip Martin, Senior Reporter, WGBH News
- Kim McLarin, Associate Professor of Writing, Literature and Publishing, Emerson College
- Michael Jeffries, Associate Professor of American Studies, Wellesley College
- Andrew Leong, Associate Professor, Philosophy Department, UMass Boston