Basic Black - Affirmative Action: Slippery Slope Or Uphill Battle...?
This week on Basic Black, we take a look at the recent Supreme Court ruling upholding Michigan's ban on affirmative action as a consideration in admissions to the state's public universities. The majority and dissent opinions mirrored the national debate on achieving racial diversity in higher education, but we'll discuss how that debate intensified with the backdrop of Donald Sterling's audiotaped disdain for the company of "black people," Cliven Bundy's remarks on the merits of slavery, and African American students at Harvard creating the "ITooAmHarvard" campaign.
- Callie Crossley, Host, Under the Radar, WGBH Radio
- Phillip Martin, Senior Reporter, WGBH News
- Kim McLarin, Assistant Professor of Writing, Publishing and Literature, Emerson College
- Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Daniel P.S. Paul Professor of Constitutional Law, Harvard Law School
- Mindelyn Buford II, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Northeastern University