Basic Black: Brothers and Sisters on the Run
Runners of color, specifically from Kenya have a long and visible presence in marathons around the country, including the Boston Marathon. But a closer look reveals a low percentage of Americans of color who participate in marathon running. Most American runners of color who advance in their sport become headliners in track and sprinting but where are the stars in marathon running? As we head into the 118th Boston Marathon, Basic Black discusses reasons for the dearth of American runners of color in long distance running and the benefits (to the runner and the community) of improving the numbers.
- Callie Crossley, host, Under the Radar with Callie Crossley, WGBH News
- Kim McLarin, author, assistant professor of writing, literature and publishing, Emerson - College
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, WGBH News
- U-Meleni Mhlaba-Adebo, marathon runner and fitness advocate
- Tony DaRocha, head of men's and women's cross country, Emmanuel College
National Black Marathoners Association
Kai Grant and the Boston Marathon
Black Girls RUN!