Basic Black: Where We Live and Vote
June 28, 2013
This week on Basic Black, we take a look at two major issues as we head into the summer. On the local front, the number of shootings in Boston has surpassed last year's tally. We'll talk about causes and strategies to combat the violence. In national headlines, the Supreme Court this week struck key provisions of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, a critical victory of the civil rights movement. We'll discuss the impact on upcoming elections and shaping voter turnout.
- Latoyia Edwards, anchor, NECN
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, WGBH News
- Peniel Joseph, professor of history, Tufts University
- Jorge Martinez, Sr., Executive Director, Project RIGHT
- Kevin C. Peterson, Executive Director, The New Democracy Coalition