Basic Black After The Broadcast: Black Love on the Hollywood Screen
(Originally streamed May 4, 2012)
The recent hit movie Think Like A Man has gotten a lot of attention for its smart humor and beautiful actors, but there’s more to it than that. Sharp questions lie just below the surface: Is this a new look at black love in the 21st century? Why was the n-word used so freely throughout the film? Does the movie represent a more sophisticated style of “urban” filmmaking…?
- Callie Crossley, host and executive editor of The Callie Crossley Show, WGBH Radio
- Kim McLarin, assistant professor of creative writing, Emerson College
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, 89.7 WGBH Radio
- Peniel Joseph, professor of history and co-founder, Center for the Study of Race and Democracy, Tufts University
- Latoya Peterson, owner and editor of Racialicious.com