Basic Black Live: What is "hipster racism?"
(Originally broadcast May 4, 2012)
Conversations about “hipster racism” are drawing heated commentary across the internet, including questions about who gets to use the n-word and why is there a dearth of black storylines in contemporary television programs – but what is “hipster racism?”
- Callie Crossley, host and executive editor of The Callie Crossley Show, WGBH Radio
- Kim McLarin, assistant professor of creative writing, Emerson College
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, 89.7 WGBH Radio
- Peniel Joseph, professor of history and co-founder, Center for the Study of Race and Democracy, Tufts University
- Latoya Peterson, owner and editor of Racialicious.com