My kitchen doesn't need anything super fancy. I do have a few essentials though that make cooking easier and more delicious.
- A large stock pot is a must for making soups. Soups are great because they can be frozen then can be easily prepared during the week when time is precious.
- Heavy sauce pans or dutch ovens are what I use for roasts and braises.
- I love a cast iron skillet for high temperature searing, delicious stove top roasting—and it will last you a lifetime.
- For pasta lovers like me, a 14" diameter skillet is a must. You can toss the pasta with the sauce just before serving. It's also a perfect pan for quick-cooking meats and skillet-braised vegetables, Italian style.
- Another essential is a great glass of Bastianich wine.
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich was born in Pola, Istria, on the northeastern coast of the Adriatic Sea. She is a cookbook author, restaurateur, and TV chef extraordinaire. Watch Lidia's Italy Saturdays at 1:30pm on WGBH 2 or Sundays at 4pm on WGBH 44.
LISTEN & MORE RECIPES