Basic Black Live: Breaking Down the "State of the Union"
February 15, 2013:
This week, with the State of the Union, President Barack Obama delivered his first major address after his second inaugural speech. Most polls showed a favorable reception to the speech, which emphasized domestic issues including raising the minimum wage, voting reform, and a bigger push on passing immigration legislation. But with a divided Congress and a country of competing constituencies, how much can be accompanied in a lame duck Obama presidency?
Our panel this week:
- Callie Crossley, host and moderator, Boston Public Radio, WGBH
- Kim McLarin, assistant professor of writing, literature and publishing, Emerson College
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, 89.7 WGBH Radio
- Peniel Joseph, professor of history, Tufts University
- Rev. Talbert Swan, president, Springfield, MA branch of the NAACP
(Photo: President Obama delivers the State of the Union Address, February 12, 2013. Official White House photo, Chuck Kennedy.)