Basic Black Live - The Black Church: The Call to Heal, Serve, and Transform
(Originally broadcast December 14, 2012)
Black churches routinely discuss both scripture and issues like gay marriage and voter suppression,and gun violence. Today’s tragic shooting in Connecticut is a fresh reminder of the ever present violence assaulting so many black communities. What role has the black church played in dealing with the violence? We'll look at that and examine the church's influence in shaping opinion about current issues of the day.
Has the church become too political, or not political enough? Has this institution re-invented itself in order to adequately meet the challenges of changing communities around it?
- Callie Crossley, host and moderator, Boston Public Radio, 89.7 WGBH Radio
- Kim McLarin, assistant professor or writing, literature, and publishing, Emerson College
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, 89.7 WGBH Radio
- Rev. Paul Robeson Ford, Union Baptist Church of Cambridge
- Rev. Brandon Crowley, Myrtle Baptist Church