This Week - Not Just The Blues: Race and Mental Illness
October 11, 2013
In the wake of the death of Miriam Carey, the woman who was shot to death by police after she led them on a high speed chase through Washington, DC, many questions have been raised about the state of Carey's mental health. There was also the recent tragedy of Aaron Alexis who murdered 12 people at the Navy Yard before being killed by police. This week, our Basic Black conversation focuses on the historical and cultural aspects of mental health and communities of color.
- Callie Crossley, TV and radio host, WGBH
- Phillip Martin, senior reporter, WGBH News
- Kim McLarin, assistant professor of writing, Emerson College
- Peniel Joseph, professor of history, Tufts University
- Lisa Moore, clinical assistant professor, Boston University School of Social Work