Basic Black: Provocative, Timely, and No Scripts...
Friday - December 13, 2013 at 7:30pm | WGBH 2/HD | basicblack.org
This week on Basic Black we're joined by Craig Wilder, Professor of History at MIT
and author of the new book Ebony & Ivy: Race, Slavery and the Troubled History
of America's Universities. Dr. Wilder explores the connection of slavery to the
beginnings of America's ivy league schools, going so far as to say that alongside
church and state, they were the third pillar of a civilization based on bondage."
So how does this historical knowledge impact the contemporary relationship
between African Americans and the nations most elite educational establishments?
- Callie Crossley, Host, Under The Radar with Callie Crossley, WGBH
- Craig Wilder, Professor of History, Tufts University
- Kim McLarin, cultural commentator and Assistant Professor of Writing, Emerson College
- Peniel Joseph, Professor of History, Tufts University
- Phillip Martin, Senior Reporter, WGBH News